RAC Cars News


How to Deal With Being Caught by a Speed Camera

By raccars Published

Image Source

If you think you've been caught by a speed camera, you will be expecting consequences. After recording the offence, police must serve the vehicle's registered keeper with an NIP or 'notice of intended prosecution' within 14 days, outlining the details of the offence. You must follow any conditions or timescales set out in this notice. If you haven't received an NIP within two weeks, you have escaped the camera's notice.

The usual police procedure for dealing with a speed camera offence is to impose a £60 fixed penalty, although lower fines can be charged at police discretion. In more serious cases you can expect a court referral, which can result in a maximum fine of £2,500 for motorway transgressions or £1,000 for other roads. Court fines will be calculated based upon the speed and circumstances of the offence and your driving history.

On top of the fine, being caught by a speed camera will usually incur 3-6 licence penalty points, according to the severity of the offence. Cases that are referred to court can result in more than six points. These points remain on your licence for three years, starting from the date the offence was recorded or from the date of the conviction in cases heard in court. You must wait until four years after the application of the endorsement to apply for it to be removed completely from your licence. Your car insurance premium is unlikely to be affected by three points but any further penalties within the next three years could push your insurance premium up.

Police forces are empowered to offer speed awareness courses instead of penalty points, at their own discretion. If you are not given this option, consider putting in a request so you can escape endorsements on your licence, although you will be responsible for the cost of the course. Repeat offenders probably won't be given this option.

You have 28 days to appeal a fixed penalty notice, from the date it was issued. Appeals are referred to court for the consideration of a magistrate. Don't take this step lightly as if you don't have good grounds for the appeal it is likely to be unsuccessful and any penalty applied will probably exceed the original fine.

Police can lodge papers at court for more serious speeding offences within six months of the incident. You will receive written notification of the process, at which point you should take legal advice and possibly engage a solicitor.

Looking to Buy?
Search for cars